Tuesday, January 10, 2012

My Bachelor's Degree

I was so excited to graduate high school – my last year of high school did not go very well – and begin my path towards a higher education. I enrolled in New Mexico State University…that very summer of 2001, after my graduation. Looking back, the quality of New Mexico State University’s higher education can be disputed…but there is no question regarding the quantity of education. However, I digress.

I do cherish every moment at New Mexico State University. Every moment both positive and negative contributed to my life education. I learned the injustice that existed, the politics that dictated much around the goings-on of education and life, and the relief from human kindness. I admit, now, that, back then, I had no clue what I wanted to do with my life; even though, at the time, I could have sworn I did. I spent eight years and, at least, seven major switches at New Mexico State University. My final major was in Secondary Social Studies Education.

I “dropped out” of college due to a lack of finances and some karma payback from political choices I made during the beginning of my college career. Two years later, I visited every department to see if eight years of college counted towards something…anything…any kind of degree.

I got my bachelor’s degree. I, finally, received a degree. Granted, it wasn’t the one I had spent the majority of my college career striving for, but it was a degree…none-the-less.

…catch you back here January 20th.

No comments:

Post a Comment