Saturday, March 10, 2012

Don't Eat Standing Up

I always try to set wide boundaries for the kids I care for. Many of the common issues are found through power struggles between adult and child (or children) due to the rebellion against close-set boundaries. I try to ask myself, before addressing an issue, “Is this necessary?” “Am I imposing my wants or needs upon the child?” “Will the child be a danger to himself or herself?” So on, so forth…and, of course, all these questions must be asked and answered within milliseconds before an issue. There are some exceptions, however. For example, when I do home child care, I take a lot of free-reign, but if a parent is adamant or the family culture dictates differently…I need to respect the parent’s wishes and value their familial cultural diversity.

In one instance, I looked at the child. In a typical setting, I wouldn’t normally care. However, Leianya has a tendency of not having the foresight of what may occur. Most children are similar to Leianya. She had been eating snack while walking. As adults, many of us graze while walking or driving, but we are adults. The last thing I wanted was for her to choke while walking or fall and choke on her food. Plus, family rules, you eat at the table.

Leianya is very much like me…especially during my younger days. Even now, I find myself saying or doing similar things that Leianya had done or will probably do in the future. So, when I address issues, I have to be very careful to see if it’s just our personalities clashing or if this is a real issue to address.

I started to talk to her about walking while eating and directing her to the dining room table. As usual, my Miss. Diva refuted the thought. After all, I’m old enough to make judgments on our personality differences, but she just knows that it “bugs me.” So, rather than taking a mature, adult-like approach…what was my response?

“You need to sit down when you eat or your toes are going to get fat!” I told Leianya .

Shocked, Leianya questioned me, “What happens if I sit down? Will my toes not get fat?”

“No…your butt will. Do you want fat toes or a fat butt???” I responded.

After much thought, still standing, examining the situation, Leianya responded, “The food will get my butt fat, but then I can poop it out.”

“Sure.” I chuckled. By this time, she had lightened my mood with her brilliant idea.

Still testing me, she continued eating while standing. I looked at her and asked, “How do you think you’ll get the food out from your fat toes?” I pointed to her toesies. “There’s no opening there.” I continued, “We’re going to have to cut them open.”

Her eyes grew large and she traveled slowly to the table. By this time, her older sister, Josefina – beginning to crack up laughing at the entirety of the situation– chimed in… “Erica! Stop teasing.”

Leianya, with a smile, “Are you teasing? My toes aren’t really going to get fat?”

“Yes, I’m teasing…but you still need to eat at the table.” I said.

To think, I’ve been taking care of these two for four years and they still want me back.

…I want you back March 20th.

No comments:

Post a Comment