Thursday, December 20, 2012

My Epiphany

Welcome back. As you may have read, I had an epiphany moment in which I chose to share with my fellow friends and bloggers. I shared the foundation of this epiphany, which I strongly encourage y’all to read, December 10th. I will now share the actual epiphany…

I have never been a fan of using sign language to promote delayed speech. In my, nearly decade long, time of working with children who have special needs – such as speech development delay – I have only seen a handful of students succeed. This would probably have been the same handful of students who would have succeeded anyway. The majority of children that I have been around have stayed the same or regressed.

For those of you not familiar with this new speech therapy fad, students – in particular toddlers – behind in their speech development are taught sign language. The goal is to associate the sound of the word and the sign cue to progress speech development and communication. This fad has become so popular that mothers are trying to get ahead of the game by teaching their infants sign language. If you have watched “Tia & Tamera” on Style Network, you will see how successful sign language becomes with infants and toddlers. We are gaining wonderful outcomes from these children. They are learning to communicate through sign language.

Wait a minute…wasn’t the goal to help children with their speech delays?!? Yup, that’s right. We forgot. These children have become so dependent on sign language communication that their speech has fallen by the wayside. Initial goal…epic fail.

Don’t get me wrong. When I had my toddler classroom, I was working with these kids in three different languages (English, Spanish, and American Sign Language). These children have sponge-like minds that absorb quite a bit. One of my more advanced toddler classes, I was able to teach them counting and addition. It was all through memorization. The concept behind mathematics is far too complex for them. However, I have had a few parents get in touch with me – now that their children are in the early elementary stages – telling me how they were able to apply math concepts at an earlier age and they are ahead of the group. So, I am not against accelerated learning. There is an acceptable moment to expand on such learning curves and apply complex thought processes. This fad is not one that I would deem appropriate.

We want our children to learn to communicate with the world. The majority of the world does not understand American Sign Language…nor would they understand signs created between mother/father and child. We are providing inappropriate methods to encourage communication. Even Annie Sullivan, Helen Keller’s teacher, through her harsh methods understood the importance of speech and written word. Many parents and therapists are failing to demand the sound of the word with the sign…

“WA-TER.”

Yes, it is difficult to watch your own child struggle. I have difficulty watching them struggle and they aren’t my children. We must remember the words of Frederick Douglass, “If there is no struggle, there is no progress.” It hurts and it is much easier to accept a sign for communication, but that is easy. We must teach our children the value of hard work and dedication.

“No. I need to hear ‘ba,’ if you want your blanket.”

We teach them rewards and praise for a difficult task accomplished…

“Great job. I love hearing your sounds/words. Here is your blanket.”

We empower them and guide them to become stronger beings through the struggle. Children can now communicate through speech…now, let’s introduce the second language.

…the speech therapy fad, able to produce wonderful outcomes, does not necessarily mean it’s the right thing to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment