Monday, December 10, 2012

The Pavlovian Children

I apologize if I report inaccurate information. I have thoroughly enjoyed watching “Dark Matters” on the Science channel and, after having a conversation with one of my families, I have had an epiphany moment…one which I am about to share with you. To better explain this epiphany, I must explain one of the Science channels “Dark Matters;” one that I have seen quite a while ago and don’t remember the complete details, but here I go…bear with me.

Ivan Pavlov began a study on classical conditioning…a study we know as “Pavlov’s dog.” He strapped a dog down and every time a bell rings a doggie gets a treat. Let’s admit it…you wanted to complete that quote with the “It’s a Wonderful Life” little girl quote. We all know it. C’mon…say it. Okay, digressing here…

A Pavlovian student, amazed by these results, wanted to carry this study to the next step. How so? Humans. By tapping into the primal instincts of human; however, adults would try to become wise to the study…try to figure out the why’s and how’s. No, no. He needed a human closely tied to the natural human-animal instinct and who better to use than children? After all, we adults are constantly working to educate our children on proper social etiquette. We want our children to eat with utensils, stand up straight, and not belch or fart in public. We are eliminating any animalistic/primate behaviors that children are born with for the sake of social etiquette. I am not for or against this issue, but that, my readers, is for another blog. Back to the Pavlovian student…

The student sought out orphans to complete his scientific studies. He would strap these children down to prevent any movement. Then, using a mechanism he created to put in their mouth, he completed a similar study to Pavlov’s dog. The children would feel a vibration or some kind of trigger and receive a cookie. After performing this task long enough, he would use the trigger action, but no cookie would follow. The measured salivation was equal to those previous studies with the cookies. We have classic conditioning amongst humans. Pavlov walked in and caught his student performing these studies…

“Brilliant! Absolutely brilliant.” Ivan Pavlov was amazed and intrigued. Thus began the Pavlovian children.

They completed the Pavlovian children studies. We now have classic cognitive behavioral conditioning with the thanks of this work. Cognitive behavioral conditioning that many psychologists guides their clients to use. Cognitive behavioral conditioning taught to educators to apply in a classroom. Yes, my readers, such a horrendous study can produce such wonderful outcomes.

Now, on to my epiphany…

…meet me December 20th.

No comments:

Post a Comment