Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Overweight Names

I love the word “fatty.” I love the way it rolls off your tongue. I love how one can make it sound as if it is some morbid type of cariño or some jerk can make it an insult. I choose to see it as a cariño. I like to think that I am deserving of the “fatty” cariño.

When I worked at Curves, we had to do body compositions for the members on their first visit and every month afterwards. Most members had a high amount of body fat. I had to find many different ways of kindly telling a member how much weight she should lose…as if they hadn’t already known. Many of them would say, “I’m fat.”

The irony of my likes and dislikes? How can I love the word “fatty” and, yet, cringe at the word “fat.” As part of the Curves team, the members and I would come up with so many different ways to call ourselves overweight…

Fat
Fatty
Fluffy
Full of Love
Overflowing with Love
Extra Love
Big
Chunky
Chunk-a-roonie
Chunkers
Exra-Insulated

Hmm, we use to have a lot of cute funny names. In the end, it all meant the same thing.
We are overweight.

I like “fatty,” though. Perhaps, I should stay overweight; so, I could keep the name “fatty.” Ha, ha. Only kidding, guys and dolls.

…hope to see all of you cariñosos April 20th.

No comments:

Post a Comment