Thursday, August 30, 2012

"On Death and Dying"

Yes, my friends, we will be taking a morbid turn of events and travel to the dark side. Whilst I grieve and mourn the loss of my grandpa, I look into the grim world of death and decay. I chose to limit my apparel to all black and outline my eye with deep black eyeliner to reveal the strife within.

Nah, I’m just joshing you. Yes, I am grieving. My other grandpa died when I was very young. I lost the only grandpa I had growing up. So, of course, there is grief. However, my sanity is found in psychology; the stages of grief to be exact. I’m coping through having the ability to try and determine others and my state of mind and placing them and myself within these groups. It is in our human nature to seek meaning and categorize. Why fight it? Especially, when I could find solace during these moments of grief.

 “On Death and Dying” is a book, written by Elisabeth Kübler-Ross, which was inspired by working with terminally ill patients. The hypothesis stated that, when facing loss or death, a person experiences several emotional stages. These stages are not chronologically defined; one may move through these stages or jump back and forth between stages. They are also not complete; there may be more emotional experiences one must endure or they may not experience every stage presented.

Many people have come to accept the five-stages of grief, though its validity has not been tested. Some, like Recover from Grief, have found that there are additional stages to consider. I will be addressing these stages as we go along.

No comments:

Post a Comment